From a woodcut of the Rev. James Wilmot, D.D., who was the
first to name Francis Bacon as the author of "Shakespeare." He was
born at Warwick in 1726 (exactly 100 hundred years after the death of
Bacon) After taking his degrees at Trinity (Oxford), he became curate
at Kenilworth, and from thence was promoted to the rectorship of
Barton-on-the-Heath about 15 miles from Stratford, on the
Gloucestershire borders. He was a great scholar in an unobtrusive
way, and devoted much study to the works of Bacon and Shakespeare
until his death at Barton in1808.
The only memoir of his life was written by his niece, Mrs. Olivia Serres, who attributed to her batchelor uncle the authorship of The Letters of Junius.